HOMEInternational Students at Iwate University > Procedures and Rules for Staying in Japan

International Students at Iwate University

Useful Links
Related Documents

Important Points about Daily Life

(1)Waste Disposal

In Japan, waste is divided according to type and put out at the collection point on the days and time specified for the area. Morioka City provides free trash collection service in each area. The collection schedule is announced in "Koho Morioka". Please follow the rules.

Type of Waste Examples Disposal Method
Burnable Food leftovers, paper, wood, cloth, old clothes ・Must be in a clear plastic bag
Non-burnable Ceramic, glass, small utensils, metal waste, small household appliances ・Must be in a clear plastic bag
・Oil and paint containers must be emptied
Recyclable Glass bottles or jars, empty cans, PET bottles ・Remove all PET bottle caps
・All containers must be rinsed with water
・Must be in a clear plastic bag
Used paper (newspaper, magazines and cardboard) ・Bundle/bind with string
Large Items Large-scale consumer electric goods, large household items,bicycles ・• Call the city hall for collection.
Morioka City, Sanitation Division (019-622-2911)
Used Tires ・Request processing from a tire retailer (charges are applied)

* Air conditioners, cathode-ray tube type televisions, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, and personal computers cannot be collected because of the Recycling Act of Electric Appliances. Please request service from electrical appliance shops, etc.

(2)Driving a car in Japan

In Japan, vehicles are driven on the left side of the road. In the case of an accident when you are at fault, you are fully responsible for compensation of damages. Therefore, we advise that you consider not owning or driving a vehicle. Should you desire, however, to do so, you must have compulsory automobile liability car insurance and adequate voluntary insurance. Additionally, you will also need to submit a copy of your insurance certificate(s) to the International Office.

In order to drive cars and motorbikes in Japan, you need to have one of the following licenses:

  • Your home country' s driver's license transferred into a Japanese one
  • A valid Japanese driver's license
  • A valid international driving license
    (Valid for one year after entry into Japan, or until the expiration date on the license)
  • A valid driver's license from Switzerland, Germany, or France with Japanese translation
    (Valid for one year after entry into Japan)

A. How to change a Driver's License to a Japanese License

If you decide to transfer your home country's driver's license into a Japanese one, you will need to apply at the driver's license center (http://www.pref.iwate.jp/~hp0802/

B. On Campus Driving Regulations

Parking on campus is restricted. If you desire to park on campus because of a disability, you will first need to obtain permission. When you own a car, you must also have a parking space for it. Please do not park somewhere without permission or abandon your vehicle on the school grounds or on the city streets.

C. Traffic Accidents

When operating a bicycle, motorcycle or car, please make sure to be cautious. If you are involved in any accident, regardless of who is at fault, you must contact the police (Dial 110, or push the red button on public telephones). If someone is injured in the accident, you must call an ambulance (Dial 119). You should always report any accidents to the university (this can help you avoid possible problems in the future).

(3)Riding a bicycle in Japan

If you ride a bicycle, please make sure to carefully observe all traffic rules and be careful not to cause any traffic accidents.

A. Crime Prevention Registration Program

 In Japan, bicycle owners are required to register their bicycles under the crime prevention registration system. In case of theft, the police will search for your bicycle by its registration number. You may register for this program at any bicycle shop. The registration fee is JPY 500 and is valid for 10 years. If you take ownership of a bicycle from another person, and it is already registered, you will still need to register it again. If you do not renew the registration, your bicycle might be considered a stolen one. Also, be careful not use an abandoned bicycle without permission.

B. Bicycle lights

If you ride a bicycle at night, please make sure to turn on your front bicycle light. It is prohibited to ride a bicycle without a light at night. If the light is not working, have it repaired at a bicycle shop or buy a portable bicycle light and attach it by yourself.

C. Bicycle parking regulation

Please do not park your bike in a no-parking zone. Park in an area specifically designated for bicycles. If you leave your bicycle in a no-parking zone for a long time, it might be removed by city hall. In that case, you will have to show your ID and pay JPY 2,000 to get it back.

D. Do not ride a bicycle while using an umbrella or a portable phone.

E. Do not ride a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol.

Site Map Privacy Policy About Links and Copyright to the top